Sunday, May 16, 2010

Irish Buttermilk-Oatmeal Raisin Scones

I always like to mention the source of the recipes I try but can't for the life of me remember where I got this one :(



Irish Buttermilk-Oatmeal Raisin Scones

Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter, frozen
1 3/4c all purpose flour (I used 1c all purpose and 3/4c whole wheat)
1/3c brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4c quick oats (I used rolled oats b/c I had those on hand)
1/2c golden raisins (I used regular raisins b/c I like them better)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4c lowfat buttermilk plus some to brush over top
sugar to sprinkle


Directions: 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Grate butter and then put back in the freezer
In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda & baking powder
Fold in oats, raisins & cinnamon
Next, fold in frozen butter until combined
Add buttermilk and combine
Using a rolling pin, or a round thermos b/c I don't have a rolling pin, roll out the batter on a floured cutting board (or your counter) into a square 1 1/2" thick.
Using a knife, cut the square into 4 equal squares and then cut each square diagonally into triangles.
Place triangles on baking sheet, brush tops with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar
Bake for 18-20 minutes making sure to rotate the pan after about 9 or 10 minutes

The scones should be golden brown on top and a little darker on the bottom.


Ok, so I know my scones are not quite triangular and they turned out a little larger than I would have liked but believe me, they taste good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment