Friday, August 21, 2009

Spinach, Feta, and Tomato Quiche

My mother is visiting for a few days and I decided to cook for her. I told her I found a recipe for quiche and she was excited for me to make it.




I started with the crust. I usually buy the pre-made kind but I decided to make it myself. This was my first time using phyllo and I have to admit I was a little nervous. It's paper thin and kept tearing but it really didn't matter. It created a light, flaky crust that didn't overpower the rest of the dish.





I then cut up a red onion and mixed it with the spinach as directed. I put the feta at the bottom as the recipe instructs but I would have preferred it to be throughout the quiche. I topped the filling with regular tomatoes since I did not have cherry tomatoes on hand.



The finished product! My mom did not like the quiche. She said it tasted like spinach. I was not offended because I know her taste in food is more limited than mine. I thought the quiche was yummy and will make it again. The full recipe is listed below. Feel free to change the filling to include veggies and cheese that appeals to your taste. Enjoy!


Spinach, Feta, and Tomato Quiche (Vegetarian Times)
Serves 6

Crust:
6 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds


Filling:
1 10-oz. pkg. frozen spinach, thawed, all liquid squeezed out
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
10 cherry tomatoes, halved


Quiche Batter:
2 eggs
1 cup low-fat milk
Pinch ground nutmeg


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. To make Crust: Coat 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Lay 1 phyllo sheet on work surface, and brush all over with oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds. Top with second phyllo sheet, and brush with oil. Top with third phyllo sheet, brush with oil, and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds. Repeat phyllo and oil layers twice more. Sprinkle fifth phyllo sheet with remaining sesame seeds, and top with sixth phyllo sheet. Press into prepared pie pan; trim edges with scissors.

2. To make Filling: Stir together spinach and onion. Sprinkle feta cheese over Crust. Top with spinach mixture. Arrange tomato halves over quiche.

3. To make Quiche Batter: Whisk together all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour Quiche Batter over Filling in Crust. Set quiche on baking sheet, and bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until top is brown and center is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment