Monday, November 9, 2009

Food Obsessed

I often get asked if I keep a food journal or count calories. Generally, I do not. I have spent most of my life obsessing over food and I feel that journaling and calorie counting keeps me stuck in the obsessive cycle.

This doesn't mean that I never journal or count calories. Recently I have been experiencing swelling in my legs and feet. I started writing down what I was eating so I could see how much salt and processed foods I was consuming. I did this for a few days and then adjusted my diet as needed. It turns out the swelling is most likely not related to my diet but it was good to check in and see how I was doing.

I occasionally count calories as well. If I feel stuck in my weight loss I may count calories for a few days to see where I am. Two weeks ago I tracked my calories for a day (that's all I could tolerate!) and discovered that my breakfast was way too high in calories. I have been cutting back on my portions at breakfast and still feel satisfied. Although I eat plenty of fruits, veggies and whole grains it doesn't mean I can overindulge. Healthy foods still need to be eaten in moderate portions.

Checking in with yourself is a good way to stay on track. You don't need to obsess about food. It's not healthy and will drive you mad. Try to eat foods that you like, that satisfy you and make you happy. Making small adjustments to your diet and lifestyle will equal big changes in the long run. Stop obsessing and start enjoying food!

No comments:

Post a Comment