Friday, November 6, 2009

Visit to the Doctor

I went to the doctor Wednesday because my legs and feet have been swelling several times a week. My doctor happens to be out on maternity leave but I was able to see someone else in the same office. The visit took all of 10 minutes. She felt up my legs a little bit, asked a few general questions and then excused herself so she could think about it. On her return her only suggestion was to try compression stockings. She didn't ask about my diet or if I exercised. She did ask if I walk a lot which is a foolish question since I live in NYC but I told her that yes, I do walk a lot. She didn't take blood which I fully expected her to do. Needless to say I was rather disappointed with the overall lack of thoroughness she provided.

That same night I took a Pilates private lesson with a woman who is studying to be a physical therapist. She suggested I stick my legs up the wall to balance the blood flow. This yoga move called Viparit Karni did the trick. I got home late Thursday and my legs were swollen. I put them up the wall for about 10 minutes. My legs immediately felt and looked better and today there was little to no swelling. Could this be a coincidence? Yes, but I will keep trying it because the thought of wearing compression stockings is not appealing! Here's a video showing you how to get in and out of the pose.




Some of the benefits of Viparit Karni are:

Body
  • Redirects the flow of blood from feet to heart with pull of gravity for detoxification.
  • Relieve the varicose veins, edema, and elephantiasis.
  • Massages the abdominal organs with blood circulation & tones up the abdomen.
  • Relieves constipation.
  • Increases the cardiac output and strengthens the wall of the heart & cardiac muscles.
  • Activates the thyroid & parathyroid glands.
  • Balances the metabolism of the body & rekindles the gastric fire.
  • Activates the synthesis of protein and vitamin.
  • Reverse the aging process.
  • Helps absorb the nutrients from the food consumed.
Mental
  • Activates the mind by reducing mental sluggishness & lethargy.
  • Diverts the flow of blood to the brain.
  • Increases the efficiency of sensory organs

No comments:

Post a Comment