Saturday, November 28, 2009

Time to Get My Shit Together!

If you know me, you know my story. For those who don't, here's a quick overview.

I went to college weighing in at about 135 and a size 6. I was healthy, worked out and generally watched what I ate. Fast forward 6 yrs to graduation weighing in at around 230. I moved to NY about at week after I graduated (August 1998). I started eating healthier and exercising, even joined a gym, and found myself losing about 60 or so pounds. Fast forward to 2001...got a new job, became a manager, stress, money problems...fast forward to Spring 2005...now weighing in at 252!!! (Picture is from January 2005)


I knew had to make a change. I joined Jenny Craig and for the first month all I did was follow the meal plan. I bought their meals and supplemented with fruits and vegetables. I lost about 7-10 lbs the first month and then decided to add in exercise. I started walking. After more of the weight came off I went back to the gym and hired a personal trainer. Fast forward to Fall 2007...was down 102 lbs, size 4 with about 20-25 lbs of muscle. I was also a gym going, calorie counting freak!! I knew how long I would need to work off almost everything I ate. People at work would ask me the calories in a certain food and I would know. I was working out twice a day most days of the week and only eating about 1200 calories a day. It was insane and not very realistic to maintain. (Picture is from November 2007)


About this time several things changed in my life and eventually the stress and anxiety came back. I ate my feelings rather than dealing with my problems and slowly put some of the weight back on. Now here we are, Winter 2009 and I cannot seem to get it together. I have learned a lot about health, emotional eating and weight loss and I even counsel people on their health. So why can't I get it together?

I honestly do not know but it's time I stop the excuses and get back to work. I have worked too hard for my own health and happiness and I will not throw it all away. So, what do I have in mind? A 30-day "Get My Shit Together" challenge. (GMST Challenge)


What does this mean? It means no more excuses to stay up late. No more hitting the snooze for hours and then running around barely making it to work on time. No more lazy workouts. No more fast food, junk food and foods that hurt rather than help me. It means doing more yoga, making my workouts count, self care and cooking nourishing foods for myself even when I feel overwhelmed and stressed out. It means putting me first!

Ok, so here's how I did today.
Sleep:
No problem, it's the weekend!
Food:
Pretty good so far. No random eating or junk food.
Workouts:
30 second plank 3 times
3 sets of lunges, 10 on each side per set
50 girl push-ups
80 jumping jacks in between sets
3.6 miles alternating jogging and walking
Self Care:
Did my toes Kangarooby Red!

Stayed tuned for updates and wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment